Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bruuuuuuuuuuuce!!!!

Sue and I saw The Boss in concert last night at Key Arena. Wow. The man stills rocks like nobody else. Two and a half hours of non-stop, high-energy, rock and roll. He performed about half of the songs from his latest release, Magic, which left plenty of time for old favorites.

It's hard to believe that the last time I saw him was 30 years ago in Austin, Texas on the 'Darkness' tour. And it's been over 15 years since my vinyl copy of that album was packed away; but the lyrics all came flooding back. I found myself standing and singing Badlands at the top of my lungs with 15,000 other people.

Most of the E-Streeters were there. Danny Federici is still ill and we were told that "Patti sends her love. We've got three teenagers now, so she's home guarding the fort. As I was getting ready to leave for the tour there were kegs of beer showing up, pot cookies coming out of the oven. I thought 'I better leave Patti here to take care of this'".

Nils Lofgren and Little Steven are still amazing on guitar and Max is an absolute madman on drums. Clarence was there and played on many songs but his energy level seemed much lower, and he was often off to the side of the stage.

The concert ended with rousing renditions of 10th Avenue Freezeout into Rosalita into Born to Run and by the end I was physically spent. Amazing show.

The drive home was interesting. We had driven into Seattle around five o'clock and walked around the Seattle Center in cold, drizzly, weather. As we approached Redmond on the drive home we started noticing snow on the side of the road. By the time we were driving up onto the Sammamish Plateau the snow was deeper and we were starting to see the all-too-familiar sight of cars abandoned on the side of the road. In the Pacific Northwest snow is expected to stay in the mountains where we can find it when we want to ski. We're built for rain; our roads go straight up the sides of hills and we have no snow plows. Fortunately, my mighty Subaru had no problems getting us home.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

He's coming to Tampa, too. I was looking forward to seeing the show.

However, since Bruce has expressed his support of Mr Barak Hussein Obama for President, I decided (and sent a letter to their comment site) that I would NOT attend.

It's sad when politics get in the way of having a good time - but I guess if you're gonna have principles, you gotta stick to them.

BV